Do you want to know how to get a teaching job? It is quite simple as getting a teaching job is identical to getting any other job in terms of basic requirements. Getting a teaching job is a whole process but there are three main steps which need to be followed. Here are these three important steps:
Writing a Great Resume
When it comes to get a teaching job, the first thing you need to do is to write a great and impressive resume. Your resume is the first impression which you will have on minds of your potential employers. It will provide you as a strong base to step forward. While writing resume, mention all your qualifications, certificates as well as experience. Mention all those things which show you as good teacher.
You need to list names of some persons in your resume as references. You will definitely do not want your references be surprised by a call from your potential employer. Let them know that they might receive call in regards to the job you have applied for.
Getting Prepared for Interview
A teaching job interview is somewhat different from other job interviews. In this interview, you will face some kind of questions that are not usually asked in other job interviews. Therefore, before going for interview, it is better to guess what those questions may be. Also prepare answers of all possible questions. Some of the common questions may include:
- What kind of atmosphere would you like to have in your classroom?
- How will you handle a disruptive or problem child?
You will be able to impress your potential employer if you will answer these questions confidently, professionally and honestly.
Finding a teaching job is difficult as there is always a tough competition. But great resume and an impressive interview can increase chances of getting a job which you want.
To maintain discipline in class, most of teachers get confused between punishments and rewards. Rewards are good to control and motivate students but some disruptive students need punishments as their behavioral problems persist in spite of several attempts. Here are some classroom punishments that are mostly used to communicate students which kinds of behaviors are inappropriate and unacceptable:
- The most effective classroom punishment is time-out. Using time-out punishment, teacher places a chair at side of classroom. When a student shows disruptive behavior, teacher simply asks the student to move to time-out chair. Here student spends a couple of minutes while reflecting on his actions. Time-out is considered one of the best punishments as it sets clear limits of acceptable behavior as well as it ensures dignity of student.
- Three strikes is also a kind of classroom punishment which involves three verbal warnings to a student who misbehaves. After three strikes, case is referred to high authorities like principal. Teacher has to take care and count which student have how many strikes. This punishment is also very effective as it gives more than one opportunities to students to amend their behaviors before taking a strict action.
- Appeal to high authority is somewhat serious and strict punishment. It conveys a message to the student that their misbehavior is not acceptable at all and it needs to be informed to principal. This punishment should be used when a student does not show willingness to change his behavior or disrupts others in class. As a consequence of this punishment, student can be removed from class so it should not be used frequently.
- Vice principal, principal or other administrator in school can issue in-school suspension orders as punishment. When in-school suspension is observed, misbehaving student needs to remain in principal’s office, away from his class and fellow students. During punishment, student completes school work alone. This punishment is mostly given for one day but this punishment really works and improves discipline.
- Students who commit serious violation of rules are suspended. Suspension is actually an extended absence from school. During this punishment, student cannot enroll in a different school. Suspension is such a punishment which gives time and opportunity to students to think about their wrong actions so that they can come back to school with improved behavior and awareness.
- Most serious punishment of all is expulsion and it cannot be issued without listening to both the parties-student and administration. Students who commit serious crimes can be expelled from school. Serious crimes may include carrying illegal drugs or alcohol, having a weapon or attacking and beating a school employee. Expulsion removes a student from school on permanent basis. In worst cases, other schools are also prohibited to enroll that particular student. Expulsion is a serious punishment but it contributes greatly to a healthy education environment and other students learn a lot from it.
Teacher introduction letter is an important document as it lets parents know who is teaching their kids. It also helps making a positive first impression on parents. This letter should be written in a professional way so that parents may get inspired with your confidence, competency and proficiency. Here are some tips on how to write a teacher introduction letter:
- In the first or opening paragraph, you need to welcome parents and let them know that you have an aim of spending a productive academic year with kids. Express your wish to work in cooperation with parents. You should make them feel that you love to teach and are very pleased to be a teacher of their kid. If you are going to teach in place of another teacher, mention starting and ending dates.
- Next paragraph of the letter should contain your education and experience. Tell parents about your qualification and also mention how many years you have been teaching. It is also better to mention where you taught and what subjects and ages you have taught in past. In your educational background, you can add major degree along with areas of specialty.
- In third paragraph, describe your personality by mentioning your interests, hobbies and talents. This kind of information will make parents feel that you are an active and interesting person who is lively and can bring the same life to classroom.
- Finally, mention educational and social goals of yours. Tell parents when they will receive your classroom policies and other details. Also invite parents to get in touch with you if they need further information. Welcome them to give suggestions as well.
- Include your contact information along with your type-written name and signature. Contact information may include school phone number, your school email address etc.
- Before sending this letter, ask one of your colleagues to verify it for contents and spelling and grammar mistakes.
These were some tips to write teacher introduction letter. After writing it, post it on class home page on internet, so that parents can read as whenever they need.