The way a teacher looks moves and holds his body has a deep effect on students. Body language and gestures of a teacher give a clear message to students how is he feeling. So mastering in using body language is necessary for a teacher to control his class. Here are some non-verbal methods which a teacher can use to gain control over his class:
- The first and most effective non-verbal method to control a class is moving around in room. In this way, a teacher keeps an eye on every student and students do not get a chance to whisper and gossip with each other. This attitude of a teacher prevents students from making mischievous plans and gives a message that whole class is in teacher’s control.
- Students notice their teacher deeply and look for a moment when the teacher looses control. Some students also take advantage of such desperate gestures of their teachers. So teachers are needed to be aware of their postures and gestures and avoid doing anything that shows over aggressiveness.
- Eye contact can also become a method to control a class. Maintaining eye contact for a few seconds can show whether a teacher is happy or angry.
- Teachers should be aware of what is going on in all parts of a classroom. If a student is found doing something wrong, he/she should be pointed out at once to show that teacher is seeing him/her. It all means that a teacher should have eyes in back of head. A teacher should show with his behavior that volition of class discipline will never be tolerated.
- To maintain students’ involvement, smooth and effective transitions play an important role. If a teacher will give unclear and confusing directions with lengthy explanations, he will be failed to gain students’ attention.
- Students’ misbehavior starts when they experience boredom. To reduce this boredom, teacher can show a feeling of progress with his behavior. Teacher should show enthusiasm to create the same in students.
If above mentioned methods are applied, a vital and positive change can be seen in students. Body language is always more powerful than what we speak. So a teacher should use these methods to gain control over class instead of raising voice.
Becoming a teacher requires facing a lot of challenges. A number of training programs are there to help teachers but at last a teacher himself has to do hard work to become successful. Here I am giving some tips to become a great and successful teacher:
- To become a good teacher, you need to be prepared and organized. If you will organize your lessons in advance, you will find it easy to convey it to your students. At the same time, students will find their lesson interesting and easy. A disorganized lecture given by a teacher is recognized at once by students and they respond to it in form of losing interest.
- A good teacher always uses a number of ways and modes to convey what he wants to teach. Some common modes of teaching may include making a group of students. A teacher can use other ways to create interest as well. For example, different books, dance and even music can be used as a mode of teaching.
- To become a successful teacher, you will need to be patient. Being a teacher, you may have to face criticism by parents and other teachers as well. In this case, you will require being positive towards criticism. Take it as an opportunity to make adjustments and betterments instead of taking it as a personal attack. Teacher should also accept praise and admiration graciously.
- Show care for your students. You can do this by listening to their problems, offering a compliment, passing a smile or patting them on shoulders. This attitude of yours will create a comfortable and friendly environment and students will become more expressive. They will ask questions with confident and hence will learn new things. Attitude of care and love should also be used with parents of students as well.
- Address your class as a whole and do not point out a single student. If you will scold a student in front of all others, he will feel embarrassed and will turn against you. If you need to scold a child directly, do it privately.
- Sometimes classroom becomes a place of tension and anxiety especially when you teach a rigid subject. To handle such classroom situation, use a good sense of humor. Laughing or smiling occasionally decrease distress and anxiety among students. Also encourage your students to join you in this. But make sure that all this should be within discipline and integrity of a classroom.
- A good teacher never gives up. A successful teacher always encourages his students to overcome difficulties and obstacles. Being a teacher, if you will give up, your students will also find failure as the last option.
- You should remain positive to show every student that you are confident to do anything. As a result, your students will adopt the same attitude. Their behavioral problems will reduce and entire class will work collectively to attain goals set by you.