Do you want to know how to get a teaching job? It is quite simple as getting a teaching job is identical to getting any other job in terms of basic requirements. Getting a teaching job is a whole process but there are three main steps which need to be followed. Here are these three important steps:
Writing a Great Resume
When it comes to get a teaching job, the first thing you need to do is to write a great and impressive resume. Your resume is the first impression which you will have on minds of your potential employers. It will provide you as a strong base to step forward. While writing resume, mention all your qualifications, certificates as well as experience. Mention all those things which show you as good teacher.
You need to list names of some persons in your resume as references. You will definitely do not want your references be surprised by a call from your potential employer. Let them know that they might receive call in regards to the job you have applied for.
Getting Prepared for Interview
A teaching job interview is somewhat different from other job interviews. In this interview, you will face some kind of questions that are not usually asked in other job interviews. Therefore, before going for interview, it is better to guess what those questions may be. Also prepare answers of all possible questions. Some of the common questions may include:
- What kind of atmosphere would you like to have in your classroom?
- How will you handle a disruptive or problem child?
You will be able to impress your potential employer if you will answer these questions confidently, professionally and honestly.
Finding a teaching job is difficult as there is always a tough competition. But great resume and an impressive interview can increase chances of getting a job which you want.
To maintain discipline in class, most of teachers get confused between punishments and rewards. Rewards are good to control and motivate students but some disruptive students need punishments as their behavioral problems persist in spite of several attempts. Here are some classroom punishments that are mostly used to communicate students which kinds of behaviors are inappropriate and unacceptable:
- The most effective classroom punishment is time-out. Using time-out punishment, teacher places a chair at side of classroom. When a student shows disruptive behavior, teacher simply asks the student to move to time-out chair. Here student spends a couple of minutes while reflecting on his actions. Time-out is considered one of the best punishments as it sets clear limits of acceptable behavior as well as it ensures dignity of student.
- Three strikes is also a kind of classroom punishment which involves three verbal warnings to a student who misbehaves. After three strikes, case is referred to high authorities like principal. Teacher has to take care and count which student have how many strikes. This punishment is also very effective as it gives more than one opportunities to students to amend their behaviors before taking a strict action.
- Appeal to high authority is somewhat serious and strict punishment. It conveys a message to the student that their misbehavior is not acceptable at all and it needs to be informed to principal. This punishment should be used when a student does not show willingness to change his behavior or disrupts others in class. As a consequence of this punishment, student can be removed from class so it should not be used frequently.
- Vice principal, principal or other administrator in school can issue in-school suspension orders as punishment. When in-school suspension is observed, misbehaving student needs to remain in principal’s office, away from his class and fellow students. During punishment, student completes school work alone. This punishment is mostly given for one day but this punishment really works and improves discipline.
- Students who commit serious violation of rules are suspended. Suspension is actually an extended absence from school. During this punishment, student cannot enroll in a different school. Suspension is such a punishment which gives time and opportunity to students to think about their wrong actions so that they can come back to school with improved behavior and awareness.
- Most serious punishment of all is expulsion and it cannot be issued without listening to both the parties-student and administration. Students who commit serious crimes can be expelled from school. Serious crimes may include carrying illegal drugs or alcohol, having a weapon or attacking and beating a school employee. Expulsion removes a student from school on permanent basis. In worst cases, other schools are also prohibited to enroll that particular student. Expulsion is a serious punishment but it contributes greatly to a healthy education environment and other students learn a lot from it.
Preschool teachers have the greatest responsibility as they are the first teachers in life of a kid. They have to shape the personality and character of a child. A preschool teacher should have ability to make kids excited about getting education. Other qualities which a preschool teacher should have include the following:
- Preschool teaching is all about a combination of lessons and creativity. Creativity plays an important role in educating kids in their early educational years. So it all depends on a preschool teacher to use different things creatively to teach different things to students. A preschool teacher should be creative enough to find exciting things which can be used to teach alphabets and colors etc. For example, for teaching different colors, a preschool teacher can hold a fancy dress show. Same can be done to give knowledge about different festivals. At the same time, a preschool teacher should also encourage kids to use their creativity as well. A creative preschool teacher manages to create an enthusiasm in class with his unique activities and games.
- A preschool teacher should also have an extra knowledge character building aspects of education. Preschoolers are in developing stage of their life so preschool teachers should have knowledge about early child development process. Moreover, a preschool teacher should also get some know-how about human behaviors so that he can understand children’s behaviors and emotional conditions. When a preschool teacher will know about developmental process of a child, he will face behavioral challenges in a batter way.
- All teachers have great communication skills but communicating with a child of 4 or 5 years old is entirely different. Therefore a preschool teacher must have some extra ordinary communication skills. He should communicate with kids at a level which is understood by them easily. Preschool teacher must know how to understand what kids need, how to teach kids and how to be patient with kids. Extensive communication skills of a teacher also help him having good rapport with parents as well.
- A preschool teacher has to use a lot of energy to participate in every activity of class. Monitoring kids of 3-5 years of age is quite exhausting and needs energy and enthusiasm. Deflating energy of teacher also affects students. Being lethargic, a teacher can loose patience due to which kids may get bored or even annoyed. A preschool teacher should know how to keep his energy at highest level at all the time.
- Classroom management ability is quite obvious for any teacher. Classroom management is actually a teacher’s ability to control environment of a classroom. Classroom control can be achieved by setting appropriate rules, managing kids’ behavior and rewarding for good behavior. A preschool teacher should have good classroom management abilities to keep a balanced atmosphere. Using punishment as a classroom management tool is not a skill of a preschool teacher.
Being a teacher, you will need a clear feedback from your students. Students will not interact with you until they are encouraged to participate in all classroom activities and issues. To create an effective learning environment, you need to encourage your students to interact with you and their peers without hesitation. Here are some things which you can do to maximize students’ interaction in classroom:
- You need to respect learners.
- Being a teacher, try to see things from your students’ perspective.
- Be an encourager and encourage hesitant and shy students to interact with you and fellow students.
- Create and maintain a relaxed learning environment in class.
- Enhance your communication skills and build strong rapport with your students so that they can communicate with you without fear.
- Instead of giving lengthy explanations, ask questions.
- Try to ask relevant open ended questions. Do not make it simple by asking just Yes/No questions.
- During your lecture, give enough time to students to listen, think and process their thoughts so that they can then ask something or speak. While giving them time to think, don’t talk to them.
- Be an active listener and try listening to every student in class.
- If a student finds difficult to explain something, you should try to understand what he wants to say actually.
- Also listen carefully to their language mistakes and make corrections immediately.
- Take necessary actions to increase student talking time. At the same time, try to decrease teacher talking time. You can do this by using gestures instead of speaking too much.
- To increase students talking time, make groups or pairs of students. Encourage students to interact with each other.
- When a student starts speaking something to you, let him finish his sentence first.
- Being a good teacher, you can also be a part of class instead of always acting as head of class.
- You should make a balance between coordination and competition. Encourage cooperation when needed and set competitions at suitable time.
- If a student speaks too quietly and slowly, move to him and encourage him to speak louder. In this way, you can also increase confidence level of your students.
These tips and guidelines seem very simple but they are very important to create a healthy learning environment.
Teachers should build and maintain a good relationship with students. It is somewhat difficult to build a relationship that is friendly as well as involves retaining a level of respect. Teachers, who succeed in building and maintain such a relationship with students, also become able to have better control over classroom. Here are some tips which can be followed to improve relationship between students and teacher:
Be Friendly: First thing you need to do is to treat all your students the same. Try to know how friendly you should be with your students. You need to set some limits while being friendly with your students.
Give Respect to Students: Make sure to receive same amount of respect from every student. Students always learn what their teacher does. If you will treat them with respect, they will return you the same respect and love.
Be Available: To improve relationship with your students, you must be there whenever they need you. So make sure that you are available for students to talk you during lunch time, after class and before school time. Students may need your help regarding studies or they may need someone who can listen their problem.
Understand your Students: You not only need to listen to students but you should also understand them. Students might face various problems in school. You should not be too strict so they cannot come to you due to fear.
Be Kind: Always greet students with an affectionate smile on your face. Talk with them and listen what problems they have in their lives. This behavior of yours will make students feel that you take care of them and are interested in their activities.
These were some simple rules of improving your relationship with your students. This may also become a key to your successful teaching career.
Classroom management is a whole process. Being a teacher, you have to keep an eye on a number of factors to make your class organized, disciplined and managed. You have to deal with noisy students, disruptive students and late comers. Today we will give you some tips to deal with students who often come late in classroom:
Set Clear Rules
First of all, you should set clear rules regarding punctuality. Students should know that there are clear and defined rules about punctuality. They should be aware of the consequences of being late. They also need to know that those consequences will definitely be applied every time they will get late.
Don’t Let Late Comers Disrupt Class
When a student gets late, allow him to sit on seat but do not address him at that time. If you will start scolding that student during lecture, it will disrupt whole class and other students will start enjoying this situation. Do not let a late comer disrupt flow of your lecture.
Ask Students to do Previous Work
Always follow up lateness and make sure students are doing missed work as well. You can also use this as a consequence for lateness. Ask late comers to complete their previous work regardless of their excuses. You can listen to their problems and excuses but make sure to give them work which they should do in break or at home.
Encourage Students to Come on Time
To encourage students to come to class on time, give them rewards and acknowledge them. Make students understand that good attendance is easy to achieve so everyone of them can make it possible. To further motivate students, you can also conduct a sort of competition between different groups.
Keep Record of Lateness
Also manage to keep records. Ask students to fill a form in which they should give reason of late arrival along with arriving time. Send copies of these forms to students’ home along with a notification bearing consequences.
If you just have graduated, you will be seeking a job for a teacher. But getting a job as a teacher is not as easy because most of the institutes demand experienced teachers. In such situation, you can only get a job by impressing your interviewer. You can do so by answering all the questions appropriately and confidently. Here are some general tips for teaching job interview:
- First of all create teacher portfolio to take it on interviews. Place all documents in a quality folder to keep all things together.
- First way to impress an interviewer is to dress appropriately. Wear a nice and clean dress when going for a teaching job interview. You can also get a nice haircut to enhance you looks. If you are a man, please shave nicely. If you do not want to shave trim hair to get a nice look. Also check details about other accessories like shoes. You should look like a professional by your entire appearance.
- Arrive early on interview venue but do not arrive too early. You should be there about ten minutes before actual time given to you.
- Try to get some information about your potential employer. Carefully read their mission statement so that you can answer interview questions with reference to the purpose of institute.
- Foresee the questions which may be asked along with their answers which you will give. For having a look on sample questions, you can also search online to have an idea what might be asked.
- Get prepared to speak to a panel of teachers because teacher interview often takes form of a team interview. After walking into room, introduce yourself to all persons by shaking hand and making eye contact. Do not give a dead fish handshake and do not let your eye contact develop into a stare either. Be a good listener and listen to their names carefully and try to remember their designations.
- Answer all questions positively and avoid mockery. You should be honest and not try to lie as your lies will definitely sound different and will go against you.
- You will also be asked about your favorite lesson so be prepared to talk much about it. Make sure your favorite lesson is student centered.
- You should also prepare some questions which you will ask. At the end of interview, you will be asked if you also have some questions. You can ask questions about hiring process, need for supporting documents, demo lesson etc.