Preschool teachers have the greatest responsibility as they are the first teachers in life of a kid. They have to shape the personality and character of a child. A preschool teacher should have ability to make kids excited about getting education. Other qualities which a preschool teacher should have include the following:
- Preschool teaching is all about a combination of lessons and creativity. Creativity plays an important role in educating kids in their early educational years. So it all depends on a preschool teacher to use different things creatively to teach different things to students. A preschool teacher should be creative enough to find exciting things which can be used to teach alphabets and colors etc. For example, for teaching different colors, a preschool teacher can hold a fancy dress show. Same can be done to give knowledge about different festivals. At the same time, a preschool teacher should also encourage kids to use their creativity as well. A creative preschool teacher manages to create an enthusiasm in class with his unique activities and games.
- A preschool teacher should also have an extra knowledge character building aspects of education. Preschoolers are in developing stage of their life so preschool teachers should have knowledge about early child development process. Moreover, a preschool teacher should also get some know-how about human behaviors so that he can understand children’s behaviors and emotional conditions. When a preschool teacher will know about developmental process of a child, he will face behavioral challenges in a batter way.
- All teachers have great communication skills but communicating with a child of 4 or 5 years old is entirely different. Therefore a preschool teacher must have some extra ordinary communication skills. He should communicate with kids at a level which is understood by them easily. Preschool teacher must know how to understand what kids need, how to teach kids and how to be patient with kids. Extensive communication skills of a teacher also help him having good rapport with parents as well.
- A preschool teacher has to use a lot of energy to participate in every activity of class. Monitoring kids of 3-5 years of age is quite exhausting and needs energy and enthusiasm. Deflating energy of teacher also affects students. Being lethargic, a teacher can loose patience due to which kids may get bored or even annoyed. A preschool teacher should know how to keep his energy at highest level at all the time.
- Classroom management ability is quite obvious for any teacher. Classroom management is actually a teacher’s ability to control environment of a classroom. Classroom control can be achieved by setting appropriate rules, managing kids’ behavior and rewarding for good behavior. A preschool teacher should have good classroom management abilities to keep a balanced atmosphere. Using punishment as a classroom management tool is not a skill of a preschool teacher.
Being a teacher, you will need a clear feedback from your students. Students will not interact with you until they are encouraged to participate in all classroom activities and issues. To create an effective learning environment, you need to encourage your students to interact with you and their peers without hesitation. Here are some things which you can do to maximize students’ interaction in classroom:
- You need to respect learners.
- Being a teacher, try to see things from your students’ perspective.
- Be an encourager and encourage hesitant and shy students to interact with you and fellow students.
- Create and maintain a relaxed learning environment in class.
- Enhance your communication skills and build strong rapport with your students so that they can communicate with you without fear.
- Instead of giving lengthy explanations, ask questions.
- Try to ask relevant open ended questions. Do not make it simple by asking just Yes/No questions.
- During your lecture, give enough time to students to listen, think and process their thoughts so that they can then ask something or speak. While giving them time to think, don’t talk to them.
- Be an active listener and try listening to every student in class.
- If a student finds difficult to explain something, you should try to understand what he wants to say actually.
- Also listen carefully to their language mistakes and make corrections immediately.
- Take necessary actions to increase student talking time. At the same time, try to decrease teacher talking time. You can do this by using gestures instead of speaking too much.
- To increase students talking time, make groups or pairs of students. Encourage students to interact with each other.
- When a student starts speaking something to you, let him finish his sentence first.
- Being a good teacher, you can also be a part of class instead of always acting as head of class.
- You should make a balance between coordination and competition. Encourage cooperation when needed and set competitions at suitable time.
- If a student speaks too quietly and slowly, move to him and encourage him to speak louder. In this way, you can also increase confidence level of your students.
These tips and guidelines seem very simple but they are very important to create a healthy learning environment.
Teachers should build and maintain a good relationship with students. It is somewhat difficult to build a relationship that is friendly as well as involves retaining a level of respect. Teachers, who succeed in building and maintain such a relationship with students, also become able to have better control over classroom. Here are some tips which can be followed to improve relationship between students and teacher:
Be Friendly: First thing you need to do is to treat all your students the same. Try to know how friendly you should be with your students. You need to set some limits while being friendly with your students.
Give Respect to Students: Make sure to receive same amount of respect from every student. Students always learn what their teacher does. If you will treat them with respect, they will return you the same respect and love.
Be Available: To improve relationship with your students, you must be there whenever they need you. So make sure that you are available for students to talk you during lunch time, after class and before school time. Students may need your help regarding studies or they may need someone who can listen their problem.
Understand your Students: You not only need to listen to students but you should also understand them. Students might face various problems in school. You should not be too strict so they cannot come to you due to fear.
Be Kind: Always greet students with an affectionate smile on your face. Talk with them and listen what problems they have in their lives. This behavior of yours will make students feel that you take care of them and are interested in their activities.
These were some simple rules of improving your relationship with your students. This may also become a key to your successful teaching career.