Having a lazy student in your class is quite irritating. However, dealing with lazy students is not so difficult. Here are some tips to deal with lazy students:
- First you need to communicate acceptable standards for participation in class. Ensure that students understand these requirements and know how they are expected to meet them. Also make sure to hold all students to these standards. To establish the requirements, you need to be consistent.
- You need to engage lazy students in classroom discussions and activities. Involve them in class by asking questions about daily assignments. If a student knows that he will be called and asked questions, he will definitely do the work. If you know that a lazy student is unprepared, don’t question him as it will cause embarrassment on his part.
- During class discussions, give proper time to students to answer your questions. Silence is as uncomfortable for students as teachers so students will be prompted to respond.
- Praise lazy students for answering your questions even if these are not correct. It will encourage students and build confidence in them to speak up and participate. If you have to criticize a student, try to disguise that criticism as a compliment.
- If a student shows inappropriate behavior, meet that student to discuss bad behavior. You can even hold a meeting with your colleague to ask for an appropriate action. Never meet the student or colleague in front of other students.
- In severe cases of bad behavior, you can remove students from class. If there are some other disciplinary actions provided by institution, follow them.
Teacher introduction letter is an important document as it lets parents know who is teaching their kids. It also helps making a positive first impression on parents. This letter should be written in a professional way so that parents may get inspired with your confidence, competency and proficiency. Here are some tips on how to write a teacher introduction letter:
- In the first or opening paragraph, you need to welcome parents and let them know that you have an aim of spending a productive academic year with kids. Express your wish to work in cooperation with parents. You should make them feel that you love to teach and are very pleased to be a teacher of their kid. If you are going to teach in place of another teacher, mention starting and ending dates.
- Next paragraph of the letter should contain your education and experience. Tell parents about your qualification and also mention how many years you have been teaching. It is also better to mention where you taught and what subjects and ages you have taught in past. In your educational background, you can add major degree along with areas of specialty.
- In third paragraph, describe your personality by mentioning your interests, hobbies and talents. This kind of information will make parents feel that you are an active and interesting person who is lively and can bring the same life to classroom.
- Finally, mention educational and social goals of yours. Tell parents when they will receive your classroom policies and other details. Also invite parents to get in touch with you if they need further information. Welcome them to give suggestions as well.
- Include your contact information along with your type-written name and signature. Contact information may include school phone number, your school email address etc.
- Before sending this letter, ask one of your colleagues to verify it for contents and spelling and grammar mistakes.
These were some tips to write teacher introduction letter. After writing it, post it on class home page on internet, so that parents can read as whenever they need.
Being a substitute teacher may be frightening for some teachers. There is nothing to get afraid of. Here are some guidelines that can make you a successful substitute teacher:
- The first thing that needs your consideration is your dressing. When you enter a classroom, students always notice your dressing first. You have to dress like an adult who deserves their respect. If you do not want to dress up formally, go for business casual at least. Do not ever think of wearing sneakers or jeans.
- Know about all school regulation and rules. Before accepting a job as substitute teacher, you should know school policies. Students know all rules and regulations of their school and if they come to know that you are unaware, you will not get control over them.
- Try to arrive at school as early as possible. Come into office and read any material left by secretary. After that, go to your classroom and study the lesson plan for the day. Also review register and seating plan. If you find that there is not much work to do for students to keep them busy, try to find an article in newspaper to be read and discussed in class.
- Students will try to escape after knowing that they have a substitute teacher in their class. So make sure that any student who wants to go to bathroom or other dubious destination has a pass. Also check that student goes outside alone and comes back within appropriate time.
- You also require keeping your nerves under control. You should not let students feel your fear and apprehension. If they will know that you are nervous, they will try to take advantage of this situation.
- Enjoy your substituting experience. The more you enjoy, more the kids will enjoy having you as their teacher. They will remember and recognize you and next time, they will treat you with more esteem.